Ir al contenido principal

Relative Clauses

 

We can use relative clauses to join two English sentences, or to give more information about something.

 • I bought a new car. It is very fast. → I bought a new car that is very fast. 

• She lives in New York. She likes living in New York. → She lives in New York, which she likes.

A defining relative clause tells which noun we are talking about:

  • I like the woman who lives next door.
    (If I don't say 'who lives next door', then we don't know which woman I mean).

A non-defining relative clause gives us extra information about something. We don't need this information to understand the sentence.

  • I live in London, which has some fantastic parks.
    (Everybody knows where London is, so 'which has some fantastic parks' is extra information).
1: The relative pronoun is the subject:
We can use 'who', 'which' or 'that'. We use 'who' for people and 'which' for things. We can use 'that' for people or things.

For example:
  • I'm looking for a secretary who / that can use a computer well.
  • She has a son who / that is a doctor.
  • We bought a house which / that is 200 years old.
  • I sent a letter which / that arrived three weeks later.

More examples (clause after the subject of the sentence):

  • The people who / that live on the island are very friendly.
  • The man who / that phoned is my brother.
  • The camera which / that costs £100 is over there.
  • The house which / that belongs to Julie is in London.
2: The relative pronoun is the object:

In this case we can drop the relative pronoun if we want to. Again, the clause can come after the subject or the object of the sentence. Here are some examples:

(Clause after the object)

  • She loves the chocolate (which / that) I bought.
  • We went to the village (which / that) Lucy recommended.
  • John met a woman (who / that) I had been to school with.
  • The police arrested a man (who / that) Jill worked with.

(Clause after the subject)

  • The bike (which / that) I loved was stolen.
  • The university (which / that) she likes is famous.
  • The woman (who / that) my brother loves is from Mexico.
  • The doctor (who / that) my grandmother liked lives in New York.





NOW WHACT THIS VIDEO OF RELATIVE CLAUSES👀👇







Comentarios

Entradas más populares de este blog

Reported Speech Affirmative

Reported speech  is how we represent the speech of other people or what we ourselves say. There are two main types of reported speech: direct speech and indirect speech. Direct speech repeats the exact words the person used, or how we remember their words: Barbara said,   “I didn’t realise it was midnight.” In indirect speech, the original speaker’s words are changed. Barbara said  she hadn’t realised it was midnight . In this example,  I  becomes  she  and the verb tense reflects the fact that time has passed since the words were spoken:  didn’t realise  becomes  hadn’t realised . Indirect speech focuses more on the content of what someone said rather than their exact words: “I’m sorry,”  said Mark.  (direct) Mark  apologised .  (indirect: report of a speech act) RULES  EXAMPLE INDIRECT SPEECH AND VERBS ‘“Why are you fighting here in Gondor?” they asked’ (‘Present Continuous’). – ‘They asked me why...

The Causative Verbs

  We use a causative verb when we want to talk about something that someone else did for us or for another person. It means that the subject caused the action to happen, but didn't do it themselves. Maybe they paid, or asked, or persuaded the other person to do it. For example, we can say: I cleaned my house. (This means I cleaned it myself). If I paid someone to clean it, of course I can say: A cleaner cleaned my house. But, another way is to use a causative construction. So I can also say: I had my house cleaned. Have + object + past participle (have something done) We usually use 'ha ve someth ing done' when we are talking about paying someone to do something for us. It's often used for services. The form is 'subject + have + object + past participle'. I had my car washed. John will have his house painted. Get + object + past participle (get something done) We can also use 'subject + get + object + past participle'. This has the same meaning as 'h...